Saturday, June 28, 2014

Destiny Alpha: Impressions


NOTE:
Bungie, the team that created the little unknown game called Halo, has teamed up with Activision's half a billion smackaroos, to bring you Destiny: the love child of an MMORPG and FPS.  The following impressions are based on the Alpha form of Destiny.  And any or all of these thoughts and concerns may have already been fixed or could be in the process of being tweaked.

"That wizard came from the moon."
Cut!  Dammit.  Could someone go get a glass of water and some aspirin?  Dinklage has 
been drinking again.

I may not be the fastest quick-draw in galaxy, the most proficient with a machine gun, or even have the slightest idea of how to follow quest markers or bring up my personal hover bike.  But there is one thing that I can do better than anyone in the galaxy…and that, my friends, is dance.  Yes, when it comes to busting a move in the most awkward of places like in the midst of battle, you can be rest assured my booty shaking is the best in the galaxy.  Why?  Because a galaxy without dance is a galaxy where Kevin Bacon and I, can never, ever belong.  But I've gotten ahead of myself.  Allow me to start from the beginning.

A few minutes into Destiny, I was already on my way to creating a perfect lookalike Warlock: a charming gentleman with blue skin, white hair and yellow war-paint.  Different facial choices seemed scarce and the scary 90's hairstyles left much to be desired, but the gorgeous graphics brought tears to my eyes.  Never before has a gamer been able to create such ugliness in gorgeous 1080p.  And after I had my perfect avatar—one who would surly dance his way into every female guardian's pants—I was dropped willy-nilly into old Russia and left to find my way.  With rifle in hand and absolutely no idea what to do or where to go, I began running.  And no more than a few moments later, my beautiful face became the finish line of many enemy bullets.  (In the Alpha, enemies came in two forms: the Hive and the Fallen.  Besides a different set of attacks and weapons, they're mainly the same and can be dispatched of with a steady stream of pew-pew-pew)

"Hey, guys, check this move out!  I bet you never saw anything like this before."
"Can it, rookie.  Unbelievable, the first thing these idiots do when they get here is shake their junk in front of everyone and everything.  I saw a Titan rookie, yesterday, humping the galactic trashcan."

THE WHOLE MASSIVE MULTIPLAYER THINGIE:
Some people may dislike MMO's because of the time investment, monthly payment (which Destiny doesn't have), or the need to make friends.  But Destiny has solved those problems.  It's a game that can appeal to the casual/mature gamer and the MMO fan that has way too much free time.  How?  Well, by allowing a gamer to pop in and out for as little or as much time as they want.  Since the player has multiple gaming options (multiplayer, strikes, missions, etc.) with rewards, you won't have to prepare for an eight hour session of boar killing in a forest to raise your level.  Twenty minutes may be all you have time for and you'll still be able to increase your stats.  Destiny also creates "Fireteams" consisting of other players to help you out.  And the first time I happened to look to my left and see another player—someone I've never met and will probably never see again—beside me, chopping down enemies…it felt awesome.  Like I was part of something bigger than just my story.  Like I was part of a living world.  That's the secret to Destiny.  It doesn't force you to become friends with anyone or to team up, but if it happens along the way, you'll appreciate the help.
 
"Psst.  Someone should really tell that idiot that dancing over there does NOT increase wizard powers."
"Nah.  He'll figure it out in a couple of days."

THE TOWER, CLASSES, MISSIONS, PUBLIC EVENTS, AND STRIKES:
Pushing through the Alpha's limited 8 levels as a Warlock (the Warlock is like a wizard dude with a gun) took around five hours.  And now you're thinking, "Well, my good man, did you also level up a Hunter (a quick-on-their-feet dude with a gun) or a Titan (a heavily armored dude with a gun)?"  No, Sir.  And here's why: aside from their special moves and über-special moves, there really seemed to be no difference between characters.  And running around doing the same missions over again, just in a different pixelated skin, seemed like absolutely no fun.  So I decided to stick with my Warlock and max out his abilities, and then head over to multiplayer.

After the first 20 minute mission, which establishes a small chunk of Destiny's story, you're sent to the Tower (Destiny's galactic coffee shop filled with emo guardians and gun aficionados) to regroup.  In the Tower, you learn how to obtain new gear (helmets, gauntlets, chest/leg armor, guns and the like), find new quests, upgrade your ship (which seemed unnecessary, at least where the Alpha is concerned), buy/sell rewards, and if you're inclined, how to add friends to your Fireteam. 

So after having a galactic cup of coffee and watching people dance, wave, point, and sit (emotes mapped to the D-pad) you're free to do whatever you want.  The only location in the Alpha was Earth—mainly old Russia—where small missions like discover this cave and kill that idiot can be found.  Also, if you run around doing nothing for a while, you might happen upon a public event.  This is a randomly generated quest that starts in a public area and includes other people who happened to be nearby.  I was part of two public events.  My first had me all alone defending and downloading information from a large orb that fell from the sky, while fending off waves of enemies.  Needless to say, I died quickly and cursed up a storm.  The second public event had me teamed with two strangers and we won, leading to an impromptu dance-off in the snow.  I, of course, won with unmatched galactic moves, but the judging is subjective.  Two public events seemed like enough so I moved on.

"I don't get it.  Every time a match starts this idiot just dances the whole time."
"Yeah, but have we lost?"
"No, but you're not seriously considering that's helping?"
"Hey, I'm just saying.  And anyway, he's Jerkin_It24:7's cousin or something.  Best to just leave him alone."

Strikes come in all types of difficulty and length.  My first had me dispatch some wizard A-hole that the galactic community deemed unfit to cast spells.  So I ran through claustrophobic hallways and oil refineries to slay the beast, and did so, on my own.  I therefore, became a level three Warlock and was able to wipe my own arcane ass.  After another strike of dispatching the same enemies in a different area of snowy Russia, I finally reached level seven Warlock and the last and biggest strike in the Alpha became available. 

If you do partake in Destiny, you should know that Strikes can take a while and you should allocate your time accordingly.  This level 6 Strike required a three guardian Fireteam and lasted a tad over an hour.  But the awesome part is I never had to make any friends or worry about who was coming with me.  Destiny teamed me up with two Fireteam buddies and no effort on my part was required.  I only remember one of my fellow characters because her name was unforgettable: YeastyBeaver, a title that holds a special meaning in my heart.  Up until she and my other Fireteam member left me right in the middle of battle.  But here's the silver lining.  I never even noticed, because Destiny smoothly replaced them with two other pixelated friends.  How this happens in real time without the slightest hiccup is beyond me.  But it worked.  In fact, everything in the Alpha worked.  There wasn't one time where frame-rate dropped or a match didn't connect or someone happened to float past on an imaginary cloud.  And although I do enjoy the occasional glitch—because sometimes they're extremely frigging funny—not one thing went wrong the entire weekend I spent gorging myself on Destiny.

"Alright, watch this.  Awesome, right?"
"Do that one more time and I will beat you to death with my helmet."

THE CRUCIBLE AND CLASS DIFFERENCES:
After the humongous level 6 Strike and defeating its two ridiculously ammo-absorbing bosses, I danced.  But I not only danced because dancing comes natural.  I also danced because I'd achieved level 8 Warlock: the highest level that could be achieved in the Alpha.  I then took my ship over to the Tower to upgrade my armor and weapons.  The time had finally come to head over to the Crucible and test my fully maxed skills in multiplayer.  And being a level 8 Warlock was sure to earn me easy kills and awesome bragging rights.  It didn't take longer than a few seconds of Control (the only multiplayer option in the Alpha, where two teams of six attempt to hold three map points until time expires) to die repeatedly and realize I was way out of my league.  I'm going to take a shot in the dark here and say that if you were awesome in Halo's multiplayer, then you'll be kicking some ass in Destiny.

Destiny offers three weapon slots in multiplayer and regular play.  Primary (ex: machine gun, pistol), secondary (ex: sniper rifle, shotgun), and heavy (ex: rocket launcher).  Primary ammo can deplete if you're not running around collecting it.  Secondary ammo is scarce.  And heavy ammo is dropped in about once or twice a match, giving you a limited amount of time to get it.  And it's in the same spot for everyone, which leads to frantic gun fights for just two missiles. 

"We claim this land for truth, justice and--"
"Psst.  Say dancing."
"What?"
"Dancing.  And dancing.  I just love dancing."
"Can someone find Jasper's medication?  He seems to need an extra shot."

Each different Guardian class (Warlock, Titan, Hunter) gets a certain kind of grenade that does the same thing: hurt the opposition.  And then there are the special moves: the Warlock having the ability to throw a devastating arc of light, obliterating everything in front of them.  The Titan obliterates everything around them and the Hunter gets three special bullets in a pistol that have a one-shot kill.  If you happen to choose Warlock or Titan and see a glowing Hunter approaching with a pistol…run.  Run as quickly as you can because they will put you down faster than you can say WTF.  But there was nothing more thrilling than being Super Charged (ready to explode with your special ability) and seeing three members of the opposing team huddled around one control point.  Running into the fray only to surprise them with annihilation is as rewarding and as satisfying as it sounds.  And damn fun too.  It's just too bad the cool-down times for these abilities are extremely long.  You may only be able to use them twice in one match.  This may change as you obtain higher levels, but since the Alpha only allowed up to level eight, it kept your abilities limited.  The same went for the Warlock grenade, which also had a slow cool-down that only allowed usability every couple of minutes.  And in multiplayer, every second counts.

Two different multiplayer maps were offered.  Old Russia—again.  And the moon.  The moon was refreshing because of the vehicles thrown on the map.  The vehicle handling and weapon firing is exactly what you'd expect from the Halo creators.  But that doesn't mean rocketing around the moon and running over enemies isn't fun.  Also having two vehicles battling it out in the middle of the map is hilarious and exciting.  I happened to spend around 14 hours with Destiny and about 9 of those in the multiplayer.  And when the Alpha ended, I instantly felt the need to go back in and have more fun.

"...So then right in the middle of fending off this Fallen Knight, he blurts out, 'That wizard came from the moon.'"
"Holy crap.  What'd you do?"
"First I got shot in the face, because it caught me off guard.  But as soon as I killed everyone I turned the frigging Bot in for a refund.  Stupid machine almost cost me my life."

CONCERNS:
Boredom: After finishing a few smaller missions (the go here and kill that, type stuff) they became really stale.  Hopefully in the final version there are many different varieties of public events, missions and strikes.  If not, then after about a month, multiplayer will be the only thing keeping people from ditching the game.  And that's only if multiplayer has plenty of maps and allows tweaks for custom matches.  The game showed six different options for multiplayer, but as only one was available, we'll have to hope the other five are just as entertaining as Control. 

Custom ships: Why?  If there's no arena for spaceship dogfights or hover-bike races, then why have the ability to customize them?  Hopefully, Bungie adds these areas to the final game, because online races and dogfights in space would be a nice addition to blowing people's faces off.

Voice Over: The popular Peter Dinklage, known for such works as Game of Thrones and…well, Game of Thrones, gets to add his unbelievably mundane voice to your bot companion.  The only voice you'll hear throughout the game, considering your character is a sad mute.  His voice work didn't faze me because most of the time it was drowned out in the middle of a fire fight, but when you do hear him, it's flat out forgettable.  It's a shame Bungie didn't use someone like Nolan North, or John DiMaggio, or any person with a tad more voice over experience. 

Maps and Icons: Pressing the touchpad slows your character down and shows your current objective.  But why not just have the objective icon remain on the screen until you get there?  It becomes a pain in the ass pressing that thing to see if you're going in the right direction.  And this feature slows down what should be a fast-paced game.  Now, if you're looking for a map, good luck.  The only one available in the Alpha was at the Tower.  Maybe maps of previously visited areas will be included at game release.  Maybe not.

"Oh my goodness--"
"Beautiful, right?"
"What?  No.  I let one slip in my suit during battle and now every time I move, a little more squeaks out.  And it's 
still putrid after three hours.  Can you smell it?"

CONCLUSION:
When Destiny was first announced all I saw was an always-online video game with Halo mechanics and a Mass Effect coat of paint.  Yet, everything about the Alpha was fun, beautiful (the view from the Tower is amazing), entertaining and fresh.  Could this be because gamers everywhere only had a weekend to partake?  Maybe.  But Destiny still made a believer out of me.  And do you know what that means?  Come Beta time I'll be dancing my way through every strike and multiplayer map available.

No comments: